Tuesday, March 12, 2013

12 March 2013 “Ain’t no time to wonder why…


Cassi Creek: 128 inches of rain fell here yesterday and this morning.  The creek is roaring, the air is heavy and mist-filled. 
          We are supposed to go to a concert and potluck dinner tonight but are worried about being able to get up the very steep, unpaved driveway to the site.  We have made the trip once before and were unable get to the upper parking area on a dry day.  What we do remains to be determined.  It proposes to be a good concert and we’d both like to attend.
          The Pathfinder should come home today.  At what cost and at what status also remains to be seen. 
          On another front, after taking carbadopa/levadopa since last October, I notice some improvement in motor control of my left hand when using a keyboard.  There has also been some slight improvement in my ability to form the chord patterns necessary to play guitar.  There’s some muscle memory returning but the process is incredibly frustrating and the positions required are painful. 
          Since reduction of symptoms by medication is one of the diagnostic markers for Parkinson’s, I feel this supports my open VA Agent Orange claim.  Parkinson’s disease is a frightening diagnosis.  The alternative “atypical Parkinsonism” diagnoses are even more so.  This is not a road to face without excellent support and a will to survive.  Fortunately, I have both. 
I have yet to hear of any action to resolve it.  It has been 6 months since I opened an Agent Orange Fast Track claim.  The VA is underfunded and understaffed, and will likely remain so.  While Congress is willing to expend military manpower, they are consistently reluctant to provide care for the men and women who make it home again.  This is an old and familiar story.  I’ve been dealing with some of these symptoms since 1979.  I had the good luck then to be included in the Agent Orange Registry.  Small victories.



No comments:

Post a Comment