Wednesday, September 26, 2012

26 September 2012 A morning spent among the 47%



          I woke up at 0200 this morning, three hours before the 0500 target time I programmed into the alarm.    Once 0500 rolled in, I rolled out but was somehow immediately behind the clock. 
          I had an 0830 Neuro consult scheduled for today in a part of Mountain Home VAH I needed to locate.  I pulled into a parking slot at 0755 and by 0820 had found the proper clinic, checked in at the clinic and then surrendered a set of vital signs to an LPN to prove I was clinically able to request and receive services.
          By 0845, I was being examined by the resident doing intake to the OP neuro service.  He did a thorough, teaching hospital neurological physical exam.  He then presented my case to the attending physician on the service who did a few repeats.  He then had the resident order imaging studies and begin a course of medication.  I am to return in one month to see if a Diagnosis has been generated or if further studies are required. 
          During my morning, I was surrounded by other veterans, covering a range of five wars.  Every one of us sacrificed something of ourselves for the nation, even if it was only time.  Many of us are also using Medicare, which we have paid into for most of our working lives and are still paying premiums for care.  Yet each of us is likely to be included in that infamous 47% who are supposedly ripping off the country by using healthcare benefits that we purchased in a manner Mr. Romney can’t begin to imagine.
          I remain puzzled by the continual reliance upon Fox News by so many of the region’s veterans.  Fox News output of lies and misinformation results in a badly uninformed pool of voters who will hand their lack of knowledge downward among their families.  If Romney –Ryan should win there will be no more VA hospitals.  They will privatize the VA facilities among corporate healthcare providers.  For us, existing vets, and for those who may result from a conflict with Iran spurred by the GOP/teavangelists, that would be disaster.



Get your influenza vaccination – don’t delay

1 comment:

  1. I think you do not exaggerate the case at all. They want everything privatized so that someone can make a profit, which means less funding is available for the services provided, not to mention the lack of control that will result.

    ReplyDelete