Thursday, December 1, 2011

1 December 2011 Proud to be a member of the human race.


          Today is World AIDS day. 
          During the middle 1980’s I was a county ARC coordinator for AIDS/HIV information.  It was a volunteer job that brought immense amounts of clinical and epidemiologic data to my desk. 
          Shortly after I accepted the position, a terminal AIDS patient was admitted to the hospital where I worked.   What follows is sad commentary on that facility, its staff, and employees. 
          Half of the Nursing Staff refused to provide nursing care.  No one was fired for this.  One member of my department was exempted from working with the patient in any manner.  She was pregnant and no one objected to her exception. 
          The patient died shortly after admission.  According to the most current information on housekeeping, I suggested they wash the walls and all furniture down with 10% bleach. 
          Nursing staff members refused to enter the room.  They demanded it be closed for a year.  The mattress, brand new and free from damage, was wrapped in trash bags, taken outside, and burned. 
          None of this nonsense was necessary.  I’d bet little has changed in that locale or facility.   

No comments:

Post a Comment