Tuesday, November 26, 2013

26 November 2013 Early carols not so long ago encounter


          The season of Christmas muzak has descended upon us.  Every public or commercial building we enter greets us with treacle-laden renditions of seasonal songs.  The first day or so, it isn’t too hard to dial them out, letting them get lost in the constant buzzing, whining background that is always there. 
          However, each trip outdoors, be it for groceries or gasoline adds to the cumulative overburden of unwanted sound.  By the 1st of January, It has become sufficiently annoying that I’m looking for speakers to rep from th overhead.  So far, I’ve avoided such action.  That may, however, be due to my short stature than to my observance of any social contract. 

Sometimes, a decent parody will arise and alleviate a bit of the annoyance.  Those of us old enough to recall anything about the Kennedy administration not reserved for the annual November festival of what if and othe mourning, may recall this little gem.  It works best acappella.

12 Days with Khrushchev

On the first day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"Your wife's looking mighty pretty."

On the second day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"You must leave Berlin,
and your wife's looking mighty pretty."

On the third day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"Don't bother Castro,
etc

On the fourth day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"Our power's growing fast,
etc

On the fifth day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"We'll bury you,
etc

On the sixth day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"Stop the U2,
etc

On the seventh day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"We'll beat you to the moon,
etc

On the eighth day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"We'll have Vietnam soon,
etc

On the ninth day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"Isn't Congress sticky,
etc

On the tenth day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"Please call me Nicky,
etc

On the eleventh day we met, Premier Khrushchev said to me,
"How's Mississippi,
etc

On the last day we met, Premier Khrushchev heard from me,
"Listen Mr. Red, we're still ahead,
Stop all your feigning, your power's waning, common Market's
     gaining,
You're losing Nasser, faster and faster, isn't that a gasser,
Don't feed me a con,
Put your shoe back on,
We won't leave Berlin, how's China, meeting will adjourn
Get your hand off Jackie's knee."


No comments:

Post a Comment