Saturday, February 2, 2013

2 February 2013 Feeding the stove



Cassi Creek:  The bottom fell out of the thermometer yesterday.  The temperature dropped slowly and steadily; blowing any trace of warmth off with the north wind.  It bottomed out at 19.2°F early this morning. 
          Yesterday’s cleared roads are now ready to receive a new load of snow.  There is winter weather advisory for our region.  We were planning to drive into Jonesborough to a dance tonight.  Now the dance will likely be canceled for safety reasons.  We will probably spend the day catching up on Downton Abbey, season 2.  Gloria and I have both developed a liking for this program.  I must admit I keep expecting to see a character from “Upstairs, Downstairs” wandering into the plot. 
          The first season finale introduces WWI.  Of 42,000,000 (+) men mobilized for the war, greater than 52% were KIA, MIA, or simply “missing.”  The ferocity of a war that contested inches of ground for four years is unimaginable to today’s populace.  This was the beginning of mechanized warfare, industrialized slaughter on a scale never seen before. 
          I’m curious to see how the 2nd season will deal with the war and the changes it brought to Great Britain. 
          While cleaning out the stove today, something in the ashes caught my eye as it fell from the shovel to the ash reservoir.  I managed to find and retrieve it.  It turned out to be a hollow setscrew used to keep the door handle for the front door of the wood stove functional.    If I had missed that small screw, I’d be looking for parts to a six-year-old stove while the stove did nothing but occupy space. 
          The day is damp and cloudy.  I’ll be feeding the wood stove for the rest of the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment