Tuesday, February 19, 2013

19 February 2013 Plant ice you’re gonna harvest wind




Lightning bolts and ice: testing planes to withstand wild weather
updated 8:20 AM EST, Tue February 19, 2013

Cassi Creek:  I’ve flown in all sorts of bad weather.  I’ve ridden helicopters in monsoonal rains, landed in commuter planes on icy runways.  I’ve been in planes that were struck by lightning.   Every time I’ve been a passenger in bad weather, I’ve had the good sense to be more or less concerned for the safety of the aircraft and the crew and passengers aboard. 
          I’ve always been willing to accept that the various aircraft have been designed and built with sufficient resiliency and redundancy to survive lightning strikes and with sufficient durability to survive being battered by winds, rain, and ice without falling immediately from the sky.  So far, I’ve been fortunate, and have experienced none of the worst weather conditions that have been implicated in accidents that make the evening news. 
          The testing processes for such inclement conditions and dangerous events are well worth reading about.  This does provide a bit more information than the average passenger may currently possess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment