Thursday, December 13, 2012

13 December 2012 End of the world next four exits



Cassi Creek:  Atypical Parkinsonism! 
          That’s the diagnosis that accompanied the skull MRI order.  That’s the diagnosis that will or won’t satisfy the VA criteria for a disability rating and compensation.  The MRI showed no abnormalities that would cause Parkinsonism-like symptoms.  The medication prescribed for me has resulted in some palliative effect, lessening of tremors and fine motor control dysfunction.  Since Parkinsonism is largely diagnosed by ruling out other causations, the diagnosis seems to be firming up. 
          I’m 64 and was exposed to Agent Orange in the Iron “Triangle” and other regions of former South VietNam during the period of highest usage. 
          I have excellent support and help at home.  Gloria is an R.N She knows when to help and when to push me.  My mother, also an R.N. has set the bar extremely high as a result of her own medical adventures.  I have our neighbor Mike to walk with, gets me up and outdoors. 
          I have numerous on-line friends including a microbiology tech from Ohio who keeps me current in that arcane.  I routinely converse with pathologists, attorneys, musicians, fly fishers, singer-songwriters, and other veterans of my era. 
          There is a very special group of friends, most of whom I have never seen in the flesh, but with whom I have shared music in various formats, argued and discussed politics, and shared all aspects of life on three continents.  We came together, on line, in order to complete a project concerning the music of The Grateful Dead.  That project is long finished but the compendium crew remains mostly intact and strongly bonded.  The depth of experiences and interests matches the diversity of professional and personal skills found among the members.  I’ve never gone there with a problem or concern without finding at least one valid answer.  Most of them got the information about my diagnosis today.  The response has been intensely supportive. 
          I don’t know how rapidly this disease will progress.  The initial onset seems, according   to the neurologist I see at VA, to be more rapid than expected.  Thus, the “atypical” modifier.  That discrepancy may be my doing.  I was not really looking for symptoms prior to 2008 when I began daily entries in this blog.  Whether medications palliate it successfully and it remains a slowly progressing disease; or whether it becomes culminant, I will be well looked after by family and friends.  To date, since 2002, the quality of personal care I have received via the Veterans Affairs department has been adequate to grate.  There are delays caused by understaffing and other availability concerns.  Only Congress can change that.   It’s time for all citizens to sit on their Congressional members, shake them by the neck, and insist that they adequately fund health care and compensation for the troops they are so happy to send overseas and so quick to forget once their cronies supplies of oil are ensured.
          Parkinsonism is a horrible diagnosis.  But I look around me as the year draws to a close.  We avoided all the natural disasters that marked the year 2012.  We’ll go past the exits that have sidetracked so many Americans this year.  I know what I am dealing with, have access to meds and medical care, There’s no need for Gloria and me to take the exits that lead to loss of everything.  We get to call the dog and enjoy each other. 
          Agent Orange:  Been there, done that, guess it’s time to get the t-shirt.  There are two I like.  One is the chemical description in orange on navy blue.  The other, short and to the point: 
“Agent Orange!
What’s your excuse?”

No comments:

Post a Comment