Saturday, January 19, 2013

19 January 2013 Hot battery cold stove



Cassi Creek:  During the last week, I noticed that my laptop was running at what I felt to be an overly hot temperature with a nearly maximum fan speed.  The diagnostic tool onboard courtesy of Toshiba confirmed my concerns.  I blew all the dust off the intake and outflow screens and stacked a second cooling pad beneath it.  This helped a bit until yesterday. 
          Since I record and upload weather data every 5-15 minutes, depending upon the proximity to unpleasant weather, this laptop remains up and running about 16 hours/day.  Laptops are designed to be taken off line between usage periods.  The heat buildup that occurs if they are run over longer periods can damage the CPU and other components. 
          Last night I recalled that Li-ion batteries can overheat and even cause fires.  Since I leave my battery in place all the time, I pulled the battery and watched the numbers slope downward.  It also occurred to me that I had been promised a second battery at the end of a two-year warrantee period.  A quick search turned up a new battery.  Naturally, it was not labeled to indicate which computer it fit.  So I popped it in and watched the numbers drop even lower.  I’m mildly surprised that the solution was so close at hand.  Toshiba batteries are expensive.  I’ve never found a knock off that fit correctly.
          While trying to cool the computer, I was also trying to get the wood stove to burn at a higher temperature.  We bought a load of oak cut to length for our smaller than normal wood stove.  The wood is extremely dense and has been hard to get to burn.  The air flow though the firebox seems somehow restricted.   I spend several hours fussing with the stove on nights when we burn it.  Last night, at about the time I changed computer batteries, the stove wood caught well and burned hotly through the rest of the night.  I hope I can coax it into better performance tonight.  I found a couple of air inlets that may have been blocked by ash or bits of unburned wood.  Five minutes of scraping and brushing may have helped.  We’ll see what tonight brings.
          The sun is shining brightly and the snow is melting.  For the first time in a week, we are under no severe weather alerts.

Correction:  Gloria tells me that she suggested I check the battery.  So that must be how it occurred.  Her memory seems to be better than mine these days

No comments:

Post a Comment