Thursday, July 26, 2012

26 July 2012 Ready, aim…



          The major battle  of 2012 may now be begun.  Instead of studiously ignoring the 2nd Amendment, President Obama has engaged the NRA and hosts of pretend soldiers nationwide by attacking the assault rifle market.
“While the president said he stands by the Second Amendment and recognizes the traditions of hunting and gun ownership in the country, he told a crowd at a gathering for the National Urban League in New Orleans that there is work left to be done in tackling the problem.

"I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals," Obama said. "That they belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities."

Cassi Creek:  this campaign just ran the volume knob up over 11.  Obama has publicly stated that he stands in opposition to the NRA’s “any weapon, any number, anyone, any time” policy.  Since there are already thousands of AK rifles and AK analog rifles in the hands of U.S. citizens, this will be proclaimed his signal that he intends to confiscate privately owned AK assault rifles. 
          There is absolutely no proof of intent to seize privately owned weapons demonstrated in his speech.  However, the NRA will already be cranking out TV spots, mailings, e-mails, and phone calls, designed to cause the mob of true gun-nuts to believe that their guns are suddenly in danger. 
          In the interest of clarity and understanding: 
          I am a gun owner.  I own 9 mm handguns and I own high capacity magazines.  I own one rifle that can be considered an assault-style rifle under existing legal descriptions.  I also own extended capacity magazines for it. 
          The handguns are for target shooting and for self/home defense.  They are not designed for hunting.  The rifle is a multi-purpose tool that can legally and technically be used for hunting as well as target shooting and defense. 
          My firearms were obtained legally at local shops.  I am not worried about the government taking them from me.  That is not in the plan for the Obama administration. 
          I agree with the President.  There is no need for U.S. citizens to own AK model weapons or, by extension, many of the AR-platform rifles that are marketed today.  I’ve shot both weapons and would have bought an AR platform if I had been able to afford it rather than my mini-14.  But I am not driven to own multiple copies of guns or to own every model out there for sale.  Most of all, I am not driven to pretend that I am going to save the nation from a non-existent threat to gun ownership.  There is no plot afoot to confiscate private guns.  If you or anyone think there is, you’ve been lied to by the NRA and the teavangelists. 
          Obama has just drawn a real line where the imaginary line once was.  I wish he had drawn it more deeply.





No comments:

Post a Comment