Sunday, April 24, 2011

            Three history lectures, one group presentation, and one geology/Volcanology exam remain before the formal onset of final exams.  Six hours of classroom presence leads to a pair of examinations that I won’t write. 

            Since I began auditing classes, I’ve written all the interim exams because it gives me a mechanism to measure whether or not I am actually learning new material while attending these classes.  Since the final exams are used to determine a letter grade for credit assignment toward graduation and since there are no grades and/or credit hours assigned to auditing students; there is little need, as I see it, for me to take the finals.  No formal reporting mechanism exists to inform auditing students of their final performance.  I don’t want to spend the gas money and time required to track down an instructor to discuss a final exam that has no official weight. 

            I’ve audited 6 classes now.  The first two were less than satisfying, one because it was a poorly taught survey course that provided very little information not available to a diligent recreational reader.  The other suffered from lack of student participation and from poor teaching practices.  Two others fell on the median.  One instructor knew the material to the point of being bored teaching to the masses.  Another tried too hard to be a friend rather than a teacher.  Two of the history classes were taught by men who truly love their subject and who can convey that subject matter to anyone who will listen and read. 

            I’ve learned something new from each class.  I’ve read diligently, listened and taken notes in classes, and showed up prepared for the classes.  But I will admit that maintaining a high level of interest became problematic in one class, and somewhat difficult in another. 

            I’ve also discovered that I don’t like being assigned group projects.  These inevitably result in part of the group picking up the work not completed by the remainder of the group.  Living 28 miles from campus, I find myself unwilling to accommodate the social and work calendars of other by making extra trips into town to spend 5-10 minutes discussing who will do what, when.  I never really got good marks for “works and plays well with others.”  I see no reason to become well socialized now. 

            I’m looking at the classes to be offered during the fall 2011 semester.  Nothing really seems to demand my attention.  I may look into obtaining an amateur radio license in order to use in the Sky Warn program.  

            Last night’s dinner was beef and white bean soup with escarole.   There were no leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment