Saturday, April 16, 2011

16 April 2001There are 20 possible answers inside a Magic 8-Ball


 Will it snow tonight?
The question is valid. The forecast low for tonight is 36 °F. That is based upon the statistics for the regional data focal point, Tri-Cities Airport. We sit inside the foot hills of the Great Smokies, in a location that funnels colder air and weather downward, in our direction.
The average date for last freeze/frost is 17 April.


The graph shows that the average last snowfall takes place on 17 April. We've been here since October 2006. We've logged snow twice on 17 April. So the possibility exists that tonight/tomorrow may bring snow.
There is a Contra dance in Jonesborough tonight, ending at 2200. Although we will likely leave a bit before the end, it will be between 2200 and 2300 by the time we get home and drag Loki. There is a charity waltz event, dance and cheesecake bake-off, also in Jonesborough. Said waltzes will begin at 1200 and continue to 1600. By Monday morning I'm going to be wishing for a chance to sleep in. Unfortunately, the time spent with the string trimmer has caught up with me. I'm not moving easily or well.

Gloria baked a sugar-free sour cream -vanilla cheesecake yesterday to contribute. I baked a double crust cheese pie containing cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, chocolate, chili, and 10- year old Talisker single malt Scotch. Both of them look good enough to enter, and certainly good enough to eat.

It may not snow but rain has arrived, departed, and will probably return. We've logged 0.37 inches since midnight. We could use a respite to allow the aquifer and its catchment to store some of the water. We'll be wanting it as summer wears on. However, I'm happy that there is no dam or other containment upstream of us. That's one worry we are lucky to avoid.

There are many other questions I could have used to preface this entry. Lacking a “magic eight-ball” I went for the one with the highest likelihood of a correct answer.

In retrospect, perhaps I might well have begun with,”Will I ever begin to like Open Office?” I can see the little prediction window as the answer swims up toward the light. “

There are 20 possible answers inside a Magic 8-Ball One of them is bound to predict my future with Open Office.
It is certain
It is decidedly so
Without a doubt
Yes – definitely
You may rely on it
As I see it, yes
Most likely
Outlook good
Signs point to yes
Yes
Reply hazy, try again
Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again
Don't count on it
My reply is no
My sources say no
Outlook not so good
Very doubtful

1 comment:

  1. I like the snow, but sometimes I get tired of it. Last year I just wanted to go somewhere warm and my decision was to go to Argentina. I gt a buenos aires apartment right away ad headed there. It was relatively cheap considering I planned it all one week ahead. Weather was nice and it did not rain a single day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete