Thursday, April 14, 2011

14 April 2011 riding the right waves today

Yesterday was a good day but the waters held promise of reefs and shoals, squalls and the random tempest. Learning new software can be like that. One of my monthly updates which I initiated at 0715 yesterday morning finally was completely down loaded and installed at 0047 this morning. So I' m a bit short on sleep today. To add insult to my own foolishness I decided to put IE 9 on my notebook and netbook.
The resultant opening screen on my notebook looked like a really bad music video with 7 or so frames frozen and overlaid. To further offend me, the page kept prompting me to use “i-this,” i-that,” or to visit “i-there.”
I don't own an i-pad, i-phone, i-pod,; don't pay to down load or listen to “i-tunes” I recall the lettter “i” before Apple claimed to have invented it. It was, and still is, a perfectly good vowel, a workable first person singular nomnitive pronoun , according to what I learned of the English language.

So a good portion of my morning has been spent making my computer browser opening screen look like what I think it should be, rather than allowing it to look like a Tiajuana whore house on Christmas Eve.

But that battle is far from over.

The morning arrivee too early but with no sign of rain. That is a good thing. The morning hike with Mike went off on time and despite my broken right 4th toe. Gloria's metal smithing project was finshed on time and looks quite good. What I had hoped to do was to mow and trim the yard. That usually assures rain. Not today, not so far. I managed to trim most of the pine branches that are over shadowing our sole pink dogwood tree. I hooked up a battery charger to the riding mower, gassed up the string trimmer, and hoped. As Gloria left for class, muttering curses upon the teavangelists and GOPer, I pulled the recoil starter on the string trimmer that was last used in October. It caught on the fourth pull and I went forth to do battle with the knotweed, hurling my own curses at teavangelists, GOPers, and the idiot who introduced knotweed to the valley.

Trimming mostly done, I turned to the riding mower. I doubted it would start without some major coaxing. It caught the third time I turned the key and performed as well as it did last October. I moved it out of its wintering space and realized that Loki had followed me out the door and was having a ball rolling in the newly trimmed grass. With her back inside, I managed to finish mowing and trimming. I'll feel it tonight and tomorrow will be unpleasant. The lawn looks good.

Dinner tonight will be chuck eye steaks with a citrus-ginger marinade and white beans with rye toast points.

No comments:

Post a Comment