Thursday, September 15, 2011

15 September 2011 “There’s a metal flag beside me someone planted long ago..."

            Another Garcia/Hunter tune that came to fill the back half, second set, Garcia ballad as Grateful Dead shows become more patterned, “standing on the moon” has an anti-war message but can also be an emotionally rich little ballad of love. 
            There’s an anti-war resonance that I can’t overlook.  But the first trip Gloria and I took together was to San Francisco for the Chinese New Year shows in 1993.  So the love song components rate high in my appreciation of the song. 
            San Francisco is a wonderful city to visit and a fantastic place for a romance to take root and grow.  The presence of friends to show us around, and the excitement of the Chinese celebrations added spice and encouragement to the romance.  It was truly a great trip.  I’ve always looked back upon it one of the best trips of my life.  It was my third trip to San Francisco but the first one I actually enjoyed. 

            Last night was a broken night, interrupted by pain, disease, and the knowledge that the alarm was going to sound off far too soon.  It did.  I had to be at VA by 1030.  I pulled into the parking lot at 0930 and joined the dance.   A slot opened up and I grabbed it, one element of the dance over. 
            At check in I learned my PCP had moved from Red service to Blue service.  The clerk sent me to lab check-in.  After a 15 minute wait I discovered that he had failed to notice that I’d had those labs drawn a week ago.  I declined another blood draw and left for the appropriate waiting room.  BP 132/84 Pulse 82 Temp 99.5  %PO2  97.  Weight down 10 pounds since January.  Pain level 7/10. 
            Meds renewed, labs discussed, physical exam normal, no flags.  Schedule next immunization, boosters, and invasive procedures.  Consult with regard to broken sleep and talking in my sleep. 
            Pill count, Urine drug screen at 1200 – I’d planned for it at 0930-1000.  I object to the repetitive collections but this one was somewhat welcome. 
            The whole facility seemed to be in somewhat of a slow mode today.  I’ve heard many horror stories and complaints about various VA facilities and providers over the years.  My early experience at Harry S Truman VA hospital left me hoping never to have to set foot inside another VA hospital.  Things have changed since then.  Things may not be perfect at VA or in the system.  But here, and at Bay Pines and the Ellenton satellite clinic, I’ve always had good quality care and the staff have made me believe that they were really there for the veterans. 
            Today after class, I’ll stop at Food City in Jonesborough and then try to sleep.  Dentist appointment at 0800 means rolling out at 0500. 
“A lovely view or Heaven, but I’d rather be with you, be with you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment