Thursday, December 9, 2010

9 December 2010 Turn off the alarm, except for…

Today is the end of fall semester classes for me. I met with Dr. Baxter this morning, cut the Art-History review session and don’t plan to take either final at the appointed time and place. I asked Dr. Baxter to e-mail me a copy of the exam so that I can see what’s on it and answer some of it. I believe he will. He asked for my phone number as well as my e-mail address with the potential for lunch in the future. Since he brought it up, I would be happy to meet him for lunch. We’ll see what the future brings. As it stands now, he has taught the best history course I’ve ever been enrolled in.

Today’s temperature reached 42°F at 1400. 45 minutes later, it has fallen two degrees and is headed down into the 20s for the night. Today’s low was 15°F.

I’m ready for a break in classes. I realized last night that I’m carrying half of a full academic load using today’s standards. 6 credit hours doesn’t seem like that much. A full load was 15 hours when I was an undergraduate. Both Selective Service and the Veterans Administration required a minimum of 15 hours either to retain student deferment (2-S) or to draw the meager pittance that was the GI Bill benefit for Vietnam vets.

We are experiencing internet service problems due to noise on the line between the nearest node and us. We’ve been losing all connectivity when it rains. The lasts three nights, we’ve been unable to connect to websites because the noise creates a delay in connection, resulting in the connection timing out. This necessitates that we call Comcast to complain and document out loss of service so that we can insist that they credit us for loss of service. Now we’ll have to wait for the service tech to show up again and tell us that nothing can be done to correct the problem. If we don’t call in when it happens, their billing office won’t credit us. Wednesday night we discovered that the customer service person on duty can initiate the credit process instead of us going through another 30-minute song and dance with the billing office. Last night the CS rep we drew didn’t want to do it because our problem might not be resolved and that would require another credit be issued, resulting in inefficiency.

I don’t believe he was overly amused when I stated that I wasn’t worried about how efficiently their clerical processes were, but how effective their service delivery was. This month’s Comcast bill should be interesting. I can keep calling; actually, we rotate the duty, as long as they fail to provide service.

Cell phones, cable companies, ISP’s seem to be replacing used car dealers as the most unlikable people. The service techs that show up to try to fix our problem are nice people. Their employers are about as trustworthy and likeable as any other legal monopoly.

I’d planned on sleeping in tomorrow, turning off the alarm, after getting up at 0500 or 0600 every day so far this week. But I have an appointment to fix the internet/cable at 0800-1200 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment