Tuesday, November 22, 2011

22 November 2011 A duck in the oven is worth many in the freezer



          The combination of falling plasma levels of pain medication, blocked sinuses, and other discomforts woke me up at 0500 today.  By 0515, I knew I was not going to be able to doze off before the alarm began beeping.  So I’m beginning the day with a sleep deficit.  More and more of my days begin that way now.   This diminished quantity and quality of sleep are the reason I initially requested a PTSD consult.  I’m sitting in the system waiting for some response from VA beyond the initial intake appointment. 
          It’s difficult to read and assimilate technical information when sleep is more important than knowledge acquisition.  I wonder how I used to manage during my clinical rotations.  Reading astronomy this semester has become increasingly difficult.  While I’m learning some of the material and retaining it, I’d like to be able to read and retain it as I previously could. 
          I’m planning to roast the chestnuts tonight so that I will have them for Thursday’s meal.  I shelled about a pound of pistachios yesterday evening for inclusion in cranberry relish.  I imagine I will thaw the duck in water tomorrow so that there is no need to deal with a still-frozen duck.   
          I’ll also bake two pumpkin pies for Gloria tomorrow.  One will be frozen, the other consumed while fresh.  This will be our 14th duck if I recall correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment