Sunday, November 4, 2012

4 November 2012 Up too early


Cassi Creek:
          For some unknown reason I woke up at 0500 this morning and was unable to get back to sleep. 
          The unexpected topic of the day, so far, has been Fox Theater in St, Louis MO.  I seemed to recall “The Fox” serving as a stage for burlesque in the 1950s 60s and 70s.  My recall mostly based upon reading advertisements in the St. Louis Post Dispatch, was in error.  I was confusing “The Fox” with “The Grand.” 
          St. Louis was home plate for a performer known as “Evelyn West” - & her $50,000 Treasure Chest”  I’m too young to have seen her perform in St. Louis.  She will be catalogued along with other burlesque performers who I never saw perform live, Blaze Starr, and Betty Page. 
          The history of “The Grand Theater” in St. Louis is an interesting one.  It had a floor that could be raised to multiple levels and sloped downward for some events. 
          That’s all for today. 

          

No comments:

Post a Comment