Monday, November 19, 2012

19 November 2012 Product placement uber alles.



Cassi Creek:
          When I was a child, a six ounce bottle of Coca Cola was a rare treat.  Whether it was a fountain drink in a pathognomic class. or a bottle pulled from a tub of icy water, so cold that your hands cramped upon contact,   The “Coke” bottle and glass were both easily and quickly identifiable whether one could read or not.  One might find advertisements for “Coke,” 7-Up” or other soft drinks painted onto the sides of barns, old brick buildings, in aging down town areas, and on outdoor thermometers. 
          Funeral homes and insurance agencies handed out thousands of paper fans at county fairs, tent meetings, and, of course, funerals. 
          I don’t recall to much product placement during the prime time shows,  They made the sponsors known at the beginning, middle, and end of every program.  But the after school – evening news and Saturday morning time slots were a steady string of animated and otherwise kid oriented advertising that left no second of air time without the host or the cartoon character pushing some sugared cereal, or even worse, some unpalatable product like “Ovaltine” or Malt-O-Meal at the under-aged viewers.  If the manufacturer couldn’t create a market for the food-like substance, they’d add a cheap, very, very, cheap, toy to the box or package.  I can recall “Wheaties” boxes with small license plates inside.  “Get all 48 state plates!”  Handicapped by my lack of taste for milk, cereals were bad marketing plans to encourage me to ask for such additions to the grocery list. 
          Such was product placement as I recall it in the early- middle 1950s.  By the 1960s, I was already fed up with advertising for most products. 
          I am an early boomer.  I managed to escape the big marketing programs of the 60s and 70s.  The Brady Bunch, any McDonalds’ talking food, Twinkies, cast or injection-molded toy cars and all the other nostalgia items that induce salivation in many of the older boomers are simply landfill material for me. 
          While I succumbed to some forms of advertising, nothing like baseball cards, marbles, comic books, or other such items now considered collectible can be found in my personal possessions.  I do have the first fly I ever tied a red buck tail streamer that taught me a lot about force vectors, velocity, and fear as it slipped off the rock holding it and came flying back at my face, propelled by a fully curved fiberglass fly rod that was suddenly straight again.  I don’t fish that fly anymore.  I keep it above my vise to remind me that glasses are often the difference between vision and no vision. 
          Some where in the house there are miniatures of Boris Badenov, Natasha Fatale, and Fearless Leader.  They remind me that subversion of the young is possible.  There is still a baking soda powered U.S.S. Nautilus – veteran of some cereal box give away hanging on a book shelf over my desk.  It’s not an original.  I bought it in 2002 when Gloria and I toured the U.S.S. Nautilus Museum at Groton Connecticut.
          So much for nostalgia. 
          The practice of product placement is now horribly out of hand.  Every minute of broadcast television and nearly as much of cable programming is filled with cans, bottles, cups, cars, trucks, and any other item that can be pimped for sales. 
          The approaching Mayan calendar predicted end of the world, 21 December, this year is of course so much hype and fantasy.  But if it were to be true, it is fair to say that there would be at least two companies planning to emblazon their soft drink’s logo on the face of the last rising sun. 
For what it is worth, I can tell the difference between “Coca Cola” and its rival.  I, by far, prefer the former.
          Things, including, end of the world scenarios, go better with “Coke!”

No comments:

Post a Comment