Saturday, September 18, 2010

Yom Kippur, and who shall I say is calling?”

18 September 2010 Yom Kippur


Black letters on a white representation of a page of paper.

To most of the American population the words mean little beyond the annual video of Chassidic Jews with a chicken. I cringe every time I see Jews, still dressed in the clothing of the 16th century armed with chickens. But it is part of an old ritual that Hasidim and Haredim still practice during the Days of Awe.

“Kaparot

"This chicken will go to its death while I will enter into a good long life..."

“Kaparot is an ancient and mystical custom connected to the Jewish Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur. It can be performed anytime between Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur, but most often it is performed just after dawn on the day before Yom Kippur.



The original form of the kaparot ceremony involves taking a chicken (a white rooster for a male, hen for a female) and waving it over one’s head while reciting this prayer: "This is my exchange, this is my substitute, this is my atonement. This chicken will go to its death while I will enter and proceed to a good long life, and peace." Then the chicken is slaughtered and it (or its cash value) is given to the poor.



While kaparot is still practiced by more orthodox Jews, most Jews today perform kaparot by waving money wrapped in a white cloth napkin over their head, reciting the prayer and then giving the money to charity following the ceremony. “



I’ve never taken part in Kaparot rituals and have never seen anyone waving money around their heads. I’ve always been taught that one did not handle money on Shabbat or on other holidays. Since I attend reform or conservative services when possible, I’m unlikely to see the Kaparot ritual.



I have seen Kaparot performed with bits of bread which is then cast upon a stream or other body of water.

What it comes down to for me is that no substitute for me exists. If I have a need to repent and atone, nothing removes that need or obligation. I don’t have to wait until Yom Kippur in order to atone. This is just a day that brings Jews world-wide together in the practice. If there is benefit to communal prayer and atonement for common flaws and failures, then today should benefit us all, not just Jews.

No chicken, cash, or bread will take my place. The task of atonement falls to me. The prayer and fasting are only aids that help prepare us mentally and emotionally. This is evident in one of my favorite parts of the High Holidays services:

Composition of Unetanneh Tokef

According to legend, recorded in the medieval commentary Or Zarua, Unetanneh Tokef was composed by the medieval sage Rabbi Amnon of Mainz.



“All mankind will pass before You like members of the flock. Like a shepherd pasturing his flock, making sheep pass under his staff, so shall You cause to pass, count, calculate, and consider the soul of all the living; and You shall apportion the fixed needs of all Your creatures and inscribe their verdict.

On Rosh Hashanah will be inscribed and on Yom Kippur will be sealed how many will pass from the earth and how many will be created; who will live and who will die; who will die at his predestined time and who before his time; who by water and who by fire, who by sword, who by beast, who by famine, who by thirst, who by storm, who by plague, who by strangulation, and who by stoning. Who will rest and who will wander, who will live in harmony and who will be harried, who will enjoy tranquility and who will suffer, who will be impoverished and who will be enriched, who will be degraded and who will be exalted. But repentance, prayer, and charity remove the evil of the Decree!"

The words of the prayer are the inspiration of Leonard Cohen's song "Who By Fire"

“And who by fire, who by water,

who in the sunshine, who in the night time,

who by high ordeal, who by common trial,

who in your merry merry month of may,

who by very slow decay,

and who shall I say is calling?





And who in her lonely slip, who by barbiturate,

who in these realms of love, who by something blunt,

and who by avalanche, who by powder,

who for his greed, who for his hunger,

and who shall I say is calling?





And who by brave assent, who by accident,

who in solitude, who in this mirror,

who by his lady's command, who by his own hand,

who in mortal chains, who in power,

and who shall I say is calling?”

No comments:

Post a Comment