Wednesday, February 10, 2010

10 February 2010 Where the chilly winds blow

10 February 2010 Where the chilly winds blow


When I went to bed last night about midnight we were seeing and hearing sleet. At 0600 today the sleet had made a slick base for two inches of snow to slide upon. I’ve cleared the decks down to the frozen sleet layer and there is now another 2-3 inches of snow to be cleared. The air is thick with snowflakes and the gusts, even in our heavily tree-sheltered back yard, are piling more snow onto every flat surface and into every corner. We’ve clocked 27 MPH gusts which translate to about 40-45 along the more wind-blown areas of highway 107.

At 0830 I decided that there was no valid reason to drive into ETSU for two hours and then to wait until 1400 for a physical therapy consultation at Mountain Home. I e-mailed my regrets to my history professor, rescheduled my PT appointment, and set about keeping warm and dry. Gloria skipped her glass class this morning, road risk too great. At about 1030 ETSU cancelled all classes beginning after 1030. Good choice, I believe.

The dog got to run around in the snow, which she really seems to enjoy. I’ve got to add some salt to the well filters softener reservoir the next time I go out and check the lamps in the shack.

Gloria’s platform feeder had 7 male cardinals contesting for food at the same time this morning. The flock has put in an appearance and moved on.

There’s little else to say today, a good day to catch up on required reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment