Friday, March 25, 2011

25 March 2011 The gift of a blade

Periodically I join the 21st century, or some aspect of it. I’ve been an Amazon.com customer for years now. Amazon has neat toys and many necessities; so I often think of them as a first source when I can avoid paying shipping or when I need something in my hands rapidly and on time.

Over the years, I have gotten away from the practice of celebrating my birthday. My work schedules and other demands made it just another workday. Still, once in a while someone will ask me what I want as a birthday (or some other occasion) gift. There are really very few things, which I need that I lack. There are some toys that may peak my interest but they are just that, toys. Honestly, I lack storage space for more toys.

Enter Amazon.com! They provide an on-line location to post a wish list type file. If I happen onto an album of music that appeals to me, or a new kitchen tool/toy that looks as if it might be useful and fun, I can add to to the list that Amazon.com keeps for me. They provide this service in hopes that someone will find a need to spend money because of me. I provide the list, honestly, as a means of discouraging unnecessary gifts. What I add to the list are things that I would actually find useful/fun. But they are, for the most part, cost-prohibitive. That’s the intent. A card or a call is more than adequate to make my day.

Yesterday just before dinner UPS delivered a box. Neither of us had ordered anything so the contents were unexpected and unknown. The box was about 18 inches by 10 inches and contained a large blue bag with a gold-colored ribbon tied around it.

I prefer to have and use high quality knives when a knife is needed. My kitchen cutlery, a Chanukah gift from Gloria a decade ago now, are Sabatier drop-forged knives with a few Lamson-Sharps and Fiskars special purpose blades added. I have two 10-inch slicer blades that are great for some tasks but I’ve nothing that excels at slicing rare roast beef, fish, and other items that call for very thin slices that can be resected with one single stroke. That is, I had nothing until yesterday. .

They mystery package was from Gloria’s brother, Shea and his wife, Brigitte. Inside was a 12-inch Granton-edged slicer. This is a special purpose, well-designed and very welcome addition to my kitchen knives. This is a blade that suggests a menu laden with haunches of game, large fowl, fillets of salmon, lox sliced thin enough to read through. This is a blade that can handle all those tasks. The balance is great, the weight in the hand excellent, and I actually have one kitchen drawer that will allow me to store the knife safely and properly so as to avoid damage to the edge.

It’s a wonderful gift, thank you both very much!

A common belief is that if a knife is given as a gift, the relationship of the giver and recipient will be severed. Something such as a small coin dove or a valuable item is exchanged for the gift, rendering "payment.” I’ve never given this any stock or any thought. So when my older son was married in 2009, I gave him a small pocketknife with a beautiful Damascus steel blade as a gift. His wife’s family, immigrants to Canada from Taiwan, was horrified. They insisted he return the knife to me.

To me, a knife is a tool, nothing else. I enjoy using them if they are well designed and well made. If not, they are headed for recycling. Superstition has no place in my kitchen, but I’m looking for a nice beef roast to try my newest kitchen tool!

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment