Tuesday, August 31, 2010

31 August 2010 Back to school again- lessons not learned.

Too early, too loud, too bad! The alarm rips any potential sleep away from me, returning me to a schedule of my own making but not of my desire. The new semester awaits, the parking lot dance begins again. In fact, the dance was more difficult this semester than last. The lots are filled; the ones I hope to use have lines of people circling, in an adult game of musical chairs. I take another tack, wind up unbeknownst to me in a carpool lot. Warned by another driver I hang my disabled tag, hope it wards off tickets, and then succumb to insecurity, call the traffic office for re-assurance, and am re-assured. I hate the injuries that make the tag possible. But on a morning such as this, I’m happy to make use of it.

Rogers-Stout hall, room 101 is a new type of classroom for me. Comfortable chairs and lined up tables with power and Ethernet outlets on each desk/table make it so easy to link to the campus network. This has the feel of a more modern classroom. Perhaps the class will meet my hopes for a deeper level of participation by students. The course, History of Modern Warfare, is taught by the History dept. chairman. That could be good, could be bad. How much fire for discovery and preservation has been surrendered to the demands of an academic position.

I’ve begun the recommended reading with a short history of warfare in Europe.

First impressions are favorable. Dr. Baxter speaks with some brand of English accent, easy to understand.

Class began on time. What a small thing to rejoice about but I want him to value class time as mine, not to be wasted with BS as Fritz was wont to do last fall.

Discussion is encouraged and there are other students in the class not afraid to speak up. Two other class members are veterans. I’m the senior, the only Vietnam vet. There are several males and females who turned up wearing current BDU’s – must be ROTC students.

Baxter did not rush out immediately at the end of class, again, favorable.



I’ve had time to get to the library to pick up my on-hold book, look for and reserve another, plus find a Dorsey novel. Productive hour.

Back on campus, find a remote disabled slot, walk to student union to stand in line and buy a badly made Quizno’s sub. Asked for Ice tea, they had none. First coke in years. The thrill remains gone.

Walked back to the Pathfinder and down to the next class’s building to see if I could move my truck. No joy, but noticed Gloria is on site now. At the last minute before hiking back to the truck a truly obese man is walking toward a line of disabled vehicles. I ask him to hold the spot until I can walk up and drive back. He does. Gloria is walking to her car as I pull in to my slot. We get to make out on campus for the first time this semester.

I’m cooling off in the air-conditioned lecture hall. No wi-fi available. I’m behind a door in the back of the room typing away; young women and her cell phone wander in, see me, and beat feet as if I am infectious. Not to my knowledge, but saves me the trouble of making unwanted small talk.

The Art History survey would be far more interesting if

a. I could hear what is being said

b. There was no four hour delay between my 1st class and it

c. The auditorium seating was not designed for people with the lower bodies of wading birds.

I now have to decide whether to keep taking this class, to look for another section on T-Thr, or to drop the course. It doesn’t look as if we can work out a schedule that allows us to share the trip.

Sushi, spring rolls, and inari for dinner.

That’s all folks!





http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/opinion/31tue4.html?th&emc=th

Editorial

Who Else Will Speak Up?

Published: August 30, 2010

“The hate-filled signs carried recently by protesters trying to halt plans to build an Islamic center and mosque in Lower Manhattan were chilling. We were cheered to see people willing to challenge their taunts and champion tolerance and the First Amendment. But opportunistic politicians are continuing to foment this noxious anger. It is a dangerous pursuit.



Bob Herbert is correct. There is no logical reason to keep feeding troops into Afghanistan.

We Owe the Troops an Exit

By BOB HERBERT

Published: August 30, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/opinion/31herbert.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

At least 14 American soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan over the past few days.

That’s all that needs to be said by me. Read the article, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment