Thursday, August 12, 2010

12 August 2010 Where does my keyboard go when I'm not watching?

12 August 2010 Where does my keyboard go when I'm not watching?


In an effort to log onto the ETSU campus network, I have been locked out of the system. Apparently the request for assistance has gone astray. I can neither access the central system for class registration, catalog descriptions, nor the section that allows me to download class instructions, messages from instructors/professors.

I was able to access this about two weeks ago. Tuesday I noticed that I couldn’t. Wednesday I got through to a help desk and was told I was locked out for security reasons. The promised reset has not materialized.

Even more disturbing is the problem that popped up yesterday. After trying to access the campus net, my keyboard seemed to be de-activated, unable to input any data or to maneuver around the screen except by mouse. Restarting worked last night and this morning. But I worry this is a computer problem developing.

Norton tells me no viruses have made their way onto my computer. More phone calls to 18-20 year old ETSU IO help desk staff return me to the land of the linked, as far as the university is concerned. Mechanicals are still a possible problem. Toshiba monitoring software suggests that the cpu is overly warm. I’ve detached the external hard drive, tried to increase cooling airflow to the notebook and so far I have no idea if it is working.

An attempt to update GPS maps with Garmin results in notification that updates are available but trying to download yields a failure notice, runtime error that can’t be copied or printed so that I can refer to this when I manage to contact Garmin’s tech support.

Tonight we will feed on beef with tofu, mushrooms, & scallions over brown rice. We’ll also have green beans in black bean and garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment