Monday, August 23, 2010

23 August 2010 Better than a sharp stick in the shoulder

Up early this morning to drive into Johnson City. I had an appointment with the orthopedic surgery department to re-evaluate and to treat my shoulders.

The drive in took longer than usual. There were large areas of thick fog and I had the misfortune to be behind a school bus and a long line of vehicles following the bus for about 33% of the trip. There was a large assembly of roadside mowers at the 107/81 junction which caused a delay in the left turn lane. Highway 67, leading from 81 into Johnson City had active mowers deployed at all points where passing is legal. I entered the parking lots at VA with ten minutes to park and hike into the hospital to check in. Check in for this clinic is on the opposite side of the building from the parking lots.

After the PA reviewed my case, looked at the most current X-rays, did her exam, and questioned me about pain levels, ranges of motion, etc.; I asked her to inject both shoulder with cortisone rather than making me return another day. The time since the last series was long enough to allow a bilateral treatment.

By the time I hiked back to the Pathfinder I could feel the lidocaine in the injection having some effect. I had so little range of motion Saturday that I didn’t even try to take part in the dance we attended. This morning I was unable to pull a door closed behind me using my right arm; had to turn and use the left arm. By tomorrow I’m hoping for enough temporary analgesia to let me catch up on the yard work I need to do.

We discussed the possibility of surgical repairs and changes in pain control before I left the ortho clinic. The recommendations remain the same. Due to my medication history and the nature of my injuries, combined with the arthritic changes in my shoulders and C-spine, I’m not a candidate for surgical repair. Fortunately, I can look forward to medical intervention such as took place this morning about 2-4 times/year.

No comments:

Post a Comment