Wednesday, July 21, 2010

21 July 2010 Technology itches

21 July 2010 Technology itches


I have an HTC Droid Eris. The HTC incredible was more or less dubbed as its replacement. I'm also on the Verizon network.

Most everything I do on the computer I do with the phone as well. Here are the highlights:

-Texting (wife & kids), e-mail, internet browsing. The typing takes a little bit to get used to on the touch screen but after using it for a while it's a piece of cake.

-MP3 player music player. Came with a 16 GB memory card, but will accept up to 32 GB. I have about 8 GB of music downloaded on it right now.

-Acts as a jump drive/USB mass storage device. Because of the memory card I can transfer files between it and my computer.

-Views Microsoft office documents and PDF files

-Pandora radio. I plug the phone into the auxiliary port on my car stereo and I have commercial free radio wherever I go - as long as I have a cell signal. Similar to having satellite radio but without the monthly fee.

-Weather radar - 2 best apps in the droid market I have found are rain alarm and radar now. It does exactly what Scott wants.

-Built in GPS. Google Maps and Navigator with voice are top notch. I recently used it on a trip from Wisconsin to the East cost and it worked flawlessly.

-Camera - it's OK, but would never use it to replace a standard digital camera.

-Walkie- talkie - With the free TiKL program from the market your phone will work as a walkie-talkie with other friends of yours that have a droid.

Oh...and every once in a while it works as a phone.

Some of the new smart phones, HTC Evo if I remember correctly, also act as a wifi hotspot.

I have managed to avoid to the iPhone or iAnything for that matter. Never liked that fact that your chained to iTunes or Apple store. If you do some research you will find that any of the android system phones have more bells and whistles than any of the iPhones or Blackberry phones being offered right now. I had a blackberry once and hated it.

There is a lot more they can do...just ask away.

So sayeth correspondent X



Our first cell phones did nothing but make phone calls. Since then, the complexity of the tool has been increased at every turn by adding new components and capabilities to the basic tool.

My primary need is still to make phone calls at need, particularly in emergencies. I don’t want to send text messages in lieu of vocal communication. I’m decidedly in the minority.

We have 6 more days remaining on our Sprint/Nextel contract. We can make some calls from here if we stand outside or in the right window. The 30 miles we travel most offer no service. The customer service people at Sprint are rather unconcerned. We will make an attempt to find a Verizon phone or two that may work in our valley.

Today, and probably yesterday, our land line is also not functional.

Hoping for a quiet night.

No comments:

Post a Comment