Friday, January 14, 2011

14 January 2011 Back to school today

Today I begin a class –History of Rome (500 BCE – 500 CE). I’m not really sure how eager I am to take this class. I hoped to take another history course concerning the US during the 1970’s -1980’s. The time and day conflicted with my course in Volcanology. There was also the matter of not wanting to get up at 0500 in order to be on campus in time to take the history course. The volcanology course begins at 0940. That’s early enough for me.

It is interesting to see that Mount Etna is erupting again. That may provide some timely content to the class next Wednesday.

The low temp this morning was 9 °F. Today is becoming sunny and may reach above the freezing point. We’re nearly out of firewood but more is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. If we get a long enough dry period, I can try to cut some of our downed timber and branches for the stove.

My first impression is that I will enjoy History of Rome. The professor is unkempt, visually challenged, both profane and vulgar. He all but ejected several non-history majors from the course today; strongly encouraging them to drop the course. There will be empty seats next week.

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment