Wednesday, November 17, 2010

17 November 2010 Bits of trivia not pursued

Cassi Creek: Yesterday’ 60’s temperatures and wind-driven rain have departed. We logged no gusts higher than 20mph but that was sufficient to fell a small tree in the upper section of our land, and to deposit small branches all over. Both of us had class yesterday. Both of us had dry, gusty weather for the drive in and heavy rain with moderate gusts for the drive home. At least the section of Cherokee Rd (TN-67) that is so dangerous due to the sun blasting over a ridgeline and obliterating all forward vision wasn’t as dangerous last night. There were some ponded areas to watch for. There always are when it rains here.

Pulling graphics for prep on the Vietnam segment Dr. Collins asked me to do makes it plain that nearly everyone who had a camera took the same shots. They vary in “whom,” but the nature of the endeavor is limiting unless one is a combat photographer. Scary enough being a medic. I can’t imagine trying to frame and compose a photograph while someone is shooting at me. I’ve been able to find some photographs of various locations taken by people I didn’t know then and don’t know now. I didn’t take many photos of other people and I doubt that more than three or four of me exist. I took the standard hardware photos, a few of various Michelin plantation buildings, and very little else. If the color of the dirt matches the location, it becomes of no consequence who pushed the button; but the color of the dirt is important. I still have a few things stained with the red laterite dust from Quon Loi.

On Veteran’s Day, Gloria wore her father’s Eisenhower Jacket to class. It fit her quite nicely. The Eisenhower jackets were in use by our armed forces until the 1960’s. For parade duty the “all-purpose service coat in “Army Green” is the standard. The M-43 field jacket with a pile liner is used in the field. The Eisenhower jacket was suggested by Eisenhower during the search for a better WWII era combat jacket. It evolved as a short-waisted, 18-ounce wool serge jacket to be worn as an insulative or outer layer in combination with uniform sweaters and field jackets.

I had one of these jackets as a child. What I recall of it was that it was horribly scratchy and difficult to fasten. I no longer have the physique to wear an Eisenhower jacket and don’t want to wear an antique that I might damage. I also had an M-43 field jacket as a young adult. I got more use of it after my time in service than I did during it. I was never issued the pile liner. For such uses as an M-43 might fill, I now have an excellent Gore-tex jacket with a down vest that fits inside it.

I also had a Pea Coat as a young child. I recall that coat as being so incredibly stiff that I couldn’t bend my arms while wearing it. My decreasing tolerance of cold and damp has kindled my interest in a Pea Coat. Along with its insulative function, it appears to meet cultural levels of appearance better than my pile and Gore-tex arsenal. I’m waiting on one to arrive this evening. To avoid the problems I had as a child I called the manufacturer and consulted on size and model. The next three nights are forecast to be at freezing or below. I’m eager to try what is my Chanukah present – I already have socks and a cardigan.

Hotdogs and beans will feed us tonight. Class tomorrow and I need to read about 100 pages. Gloria brought home her latest stained-glass piece, a Star of David done in iridescent glass. It is quite nicely made, a great piece to hang in a sunny window. It’s available at her on-line shop – www.hemlockhollow.etsy.com





I

No comments:

Post a Comment