Tuesday, April 27, 2010

27 April 2010 Closing down the semester

27 April 2010 Closing down the semester


Yesterday was, for all intent and purpose the last day of my CSI class. Of course, the class has not met for instruction for two weeks previously. The last two weeks have been devoted to a mock crime scenario; a one hour look at how CSI’s might go about the science of evidence identification, preservation, collection, and submission to the actual analysts. Arbitrarily assigned groups of 8 students were provided a scenario, a dummy/body, and told to “investigate.”

The group I wound up with, all strangers after nearly a semester was the third group to run the maze. Prior to our arrival, no other group had been prepared with the basics of a kit: tape measure, flashlight, and protractor, scale markers, etc. In the brief meeting that took place prior to running the maze, I had suggested those tools. However, I avoided committing myself to bringing them. Three of the assigned group did not bother to show up at this meeting.

I took photos at the “scene.” I committed to printing out the required 5 photos. Everyone was to complete their own work up and conclusions. Someone, not me, suggested another meeting to cooperate in the work up. I agreed but had to miss it in order to have a car repair done. I tried e-mail contact but had not return from anyone until yesterday morning when two of the young women suggested a meeting during my first class. I declined. They had access to my photographs for a week before I Dc’d their presence on Flickr.

Yesterday’s class was chaotic. The instructor handed out a final exam and asked the groups to gather their paperwork. By this time I was so annoyed with the class that I simply gave my diagrams, printout, and workup, along with 8 photographs I’d printed out, to the group and said goodbye. There’s a certain satisfaction in not having to worry about a grade. My diagrams were as professional as I could make them, my conclusions sound. I have no interest in what the children did. To round out the day, at 2200 I received a broadcast e-mail from another student begging for a copy of the final exam. The instructor had not printed out enough and had told her to borrow one and copy it for herself.

The class was one I was very interested in when I enrolled. But the technical material was glossed over or ignored. The class wound up becoming a series of film strip-like power point lists for the class to memorize or to copy into take home exams. Very disappointing.

Tomorrow, the final exam for the Holocaust history class will be posted to download. There will be two more hurried classes, leaving far too much uncovered.

Today’s dinner is Cioppino, based on a Fulton Fish Market recipe. It’s not like being in San Francisco, but my dinner companion will be my favorite face to see across the table. Actually we had cioppino in the North Beach area, just down the street from City Lights Bookstore. Wonderful meal, wonderful trip, and I got the recipe and the woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment