Tuesday, November 24, 2009

24 November 2009 8 bags full

Grocery shopping was the major group activity for today along with a quick trip to Greeneville TN’s “Big K” I'm not sure what the difference in a “Big K” and K-mart is and don’t really plan on spending enough time in either for it to matter.


Last year, on the 31st of December, my HP Pavilion dv9205us notebook shuddered, gasped, and rolled over, belly up in the dying cockroach/computer position. It actually did everything I wanted it to do except establish and maintain a connection to our home network, our wireless router, and the internet beyond our doorstep. We replaced it with a Toshiba Satellite M305 which, to date, I’ve found to work quite well.

The HP was within warrantee, barely. The bad news about that was that the warrantee provider was Circuit City, busily collapsing to nothingness. They assured me that their contract service provider would perform repairs. Long story, bad contractor; we all know how that worked out. The contractor repairs – if indeed repairs were actually done, failed hard, in the same manner, one week after the 90 day contractor warrantee for service. They’d be happy to sell me and install for me, a new wireless adaptor. I declined.

Today, thinking that I might find a suitable adaptor, I brought the pavilion up, found a software patch and upgrade that I hoped would bring life back to the pavilion, and coaxed it into service.

Currently, I’ve updated my security programs and am in the process of downloading and installing, 49 Microsoft updates. That’s going to require multiple reboots, each of which may signal another failure on the pavilion. It is going to be a long and tedious night. Standing in line behind Microsoft, Java, Adobe, and others who want their bytes of data ingested as much as the big boys do.

Tonight, we dine on black beans and saffron rice with thinly sliced roast pork.

We have cranberries to deal with tomorrow. The duck has to be checked for thawed status. We brought back oysters to fry this weekend, Po’boys perhaps, if I can find some multi-grain bread for Gloria. We have reusable shopping bags and take them grocery shopping faithfully. Today we filled 8 bags. Expensive trip.

This is one week of the year when I am perfectly happy to stay home and not travel. It will be interesting to see if the airlines complain about decreased revenues compared to last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment