Saturday, October 6, 2012

6 October 2012 Wrong calendar perhaps



          I wrote to someone this morning that health care as delivered by the Veterans’ Affairs system is mostly of acceptable and thorough quality in nature; if somewhat troubled by slowness.  I’ve been in the system since 2002, and other than an adverse experience with an EMG, my impression has been favorable. 
          The EMG procedure involves threading needles into nerve fibers, then firing electricity down them to log rate and amplitude of response.  The test rarely, if ever, provides any actionable information.  I’ve undergone 7 of them.  None changed my course of treatment.  The last, performed by a PhD researcher who was trying to impress a female M-3 resulted in an arterial puncture.  When the researcher failed to treat that error properly – he was late for lunch – we nearly came to blows.  If someone has time to further his research, he has time to attend to patient care properly. 
          On 26 September, during a neurological consult, I was placed on a new medication, an MRI was ordered along with blood chemistries necessary for the MRI.  The blood chemistries were ordered to be done 1 October, when I had to be on campus for another procedure.  This saved me a trip.  The medication was uncommonly late in arriving by mail.  I started it Thursday.
          Yesterday, having not received any notice of appointment, I called the MRI office to request that information. 
          I have a neurology follow-up on 29 October, which should include review of the MRI results.  I have a 1300 ophthalmology appointment on 30 October.  In today’s mail, I received a notice of an 1130 MRI appointment for 30 October.  That time schedule is not at all effective in managing patient care with the least inefficiency.  I doubt that I can keep an 1130 imaging slot and still make it to ophthalmology in time for that appointment.  I’d really like to have the MRI completed and reviewed before seeing neurology again. 
          Best course of action?  I’ll call on Tuesday, 9 October, to attempt advancing the MRI.  Failing that, I’ll try to push the neuro consult back a week.  I want these completed and reviewed before the winter holidays descend upon us and disrupt all operational capacity at any facility, government or private. 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment