Tuesday, October 16, 2012

16 October 2012 In one ear, out the other



          MRI on tap for the afternoon.  Not my favorite way to pass the time. 
          My last encounter with the giant magnet was at Bay Pines when they were looking at possible treatments for my C-spine injuries.  Today’s study is slated by the neurology department.  I had the wrong time on my calendar, Gloria, who took the time change by phone, had the correct time.  I called to verify the appointment time.  Gloria was correct, of course.
          The drive into Mountain Home was pleasant, little traffic, great scenery.  There is still a bridge repair ongoing that forces traffic from a narrow state highway onto an even narrower county road for about 25% of the trip.  I really dislike the county road. 
          The procedure began about 25 minutes behind schedule.  I answered all the screening questions and crawled onto the patient carriage.  I’m dealing with allergies and those generate a lot of post-nasal drainage that makes lying on my back with my head in reverse-Trendelenburg rather unpleasant.   With my head restrained side-to-side, when they placed the cage restraint over my face, I was reminded of “The Man in the Iron Mask.”  Surprisingly, the cage alleviated some of the incipient claustrophobia.  I’ve undergone 4-5 MRI exams.  I’ve never had an overt claustrophobic episode, but I’m never quite comfortable with my head confined and restrained.  The thought hit me today that the crewmen’s berths in the U.S.S. Nautilus probably had little more if any space for the torpedo men, who shared living space with their explosive little pets. 
          The left side of the patient carriage was positioned against the edge of my left scapula, sending echoes of pain down my left arm.  Unable to reposition, that kept me from objecting to the noise in the scanner.  I’m curious now as to what the various sounds indicate. 
          I was home by 1600.  The scan will probably be signed out tomorrow.   I, most likely won’t hear anything until my follow up neurology appointment on 29 Oct.  One of the horrible things about being just a patient now is the lack of access to data that I know is ready to report.  I hate being out of the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment