Wednesday, February 9, 2011

9 February 2011 Miles to go before I sleep

The morning began smoothly and happily after a night of broken sleep. Oatmeal, blueberries, honey, coffee, and orange-pineapple juice lit the inner fire. In turn, I brought in more firewood and stoked up the woodstove.

There was a major distraction that made me slightly late getting out of the house and onto the road. That sort of distraction is always welcome. Still, it took a few minutes to scrape the ice off the car windows. It took another 6 or so to reach the highway. I turned east on 107 and immediately noticed a set of flashing blue lights pursuing a westbound car. I pulled over to the shoulder and then noticed more flashing lights ahead on the road, and a line of stopped cars in my lane. By the time I reached the line of traffic, I thought that it might be some sort of roadblock/ID check. With all in order, I anticipated no problem. A few cars coming from behind pulled out onto the shoulder and off on feeder lanes. Other drivers were making three-point turns and then pulling onto County 353. That would take them to Jonesborough, sort of out of my way.

I called Gloria to see if she had heard anything on local news. I was still thinking checkpoint of some sort. Enough people around here drive without valid licenses and insurance to make that match up with the turn-arounds. Finally, I decided to go through Jonesborough and to hope for a onetime arrival. As I crossed the centerline and glanced east, I could see several fire trucks, at least one ambulance, more cop cars, and lots of stopped traffic.

Whatever happened, I’m quite happy that I wasn’t involved in the event. From checkpoint to major accident, fire, MVA, one of more of the above became the guess.

I’ll find out more tonight or tomorrow. I’ll pass that point on the way home and there may also be something in the local television news or newspaper.

Whatever it was, it poured a major dose of seriousness into my awareness. I normally drive defensively and within local limits. The morning’s event may provide more impetus to make that routine even more routine.

As it happened, I did get to class just as the symbolic bell chimed.

I’m looking forward to the evening. I’m usually glad to crawl out of the pathfinder and to relieve some of the muscle pain and joint pain that driving causes. Today, thinking of all the possibilities avoided this morning, I’m quite happy to have those miles to drive before I sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment