Monday, February 21, 2011

21 February 2011 the pump don’t work cause the vandals stole the handle.

One of the enduring names from the 1960s is the “Weathermen.”” Taking their label from a Bob Dylan phrase,” Don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows,” This violent faction of SDS is often afforded more importance than they merit. I’ve spent long hours arguing that they did no represent the new and improved new left of my youth anymore than the infantry unit that carried out the MyLai massacre represented the entire U.S. Army.

One of my major interests is meteorology. I have a series of files documenting basic weather parameters that I have recorded and down loaded since 2000 at our home in Florida and now at our home in Tennessee. Some of those files, from 2001 document the path of TS Gabrielle as it tracked over us in September 2001. Some from 2004 chronicle the paths of Hurricanes Charlie, Frances, and Jean as they each passed within 10 miles of our home.

I now use a program, Virtual Weather Station, to catalog and file my local data. I then upload that data to a national database known as Weather underground. WWW.Wunderground.com This is a clearinghouse program that tracks local, regional, and national weather data. It allows those who participate to compare their data with that of others in the region and to track trends and events more closely than television weather services allow. While I can always look out the window to see whether or not it is raining and windy, I enjoy being able to track local patterns and to overly them onto radar and other map formats along with thousands of other people operating Personal Weather Stations. (PWS)

I have enjoyed using Weather Underground as a source of education, amusement, and interaction with others interested in amateur meteorology since I happened across it during a Florida hurricane season. It has been a good program with almost no remaining bugs to annoy me. So, of course it has been changed. February 2011 heralds the major re-write that arrived with no real warning. I’m sure that some users know but I missed the telegram.

Every day brings in a new problem. For a week, I had to rediscover each night how to download tabular data from Weather Underground into my spreadsheets. I am supposed to be receiving an ad-free membership. I see ads every night that I have no interest in seeing. There is no way to contact the company for help except to open a maintenance ticket. I’ve opened two and have not been contacted by anyone. There is a wiki page that I am directed to but which will not allow me to open it. I am unable to save page and program preferences, locations, or pretty much anything necessary.

Today a new problem appeared. I called for data from Weather Underground as submitted by my program and hardware. It seems as if my PWS no longer exists in the WU database. I can see history but no real time data.



It is plain to see which way the wind is blowing. I want the old pump back, guys, with a handle that I can turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment