Tuesday, October 26, 2010

26 October 2010 The wind in the wires makes a tattle tail sound…

The high keening noise of wind in wires is always a warning. Unfortunately it can be very non-specific. I heard it about 0700 this morning as the dog and I retrieved the newspaper. The morning news was full of wind warnings, thunderstorm and tornado watches, and dire predictions for storms in the upper Midwest and parts of the Deep South. Kentucky and Tennessee might see some storm damage as well. As a rule, I watch CNN for morning news. As shallow as their coverage is, it avoids the heavy doses of cute and the local color stories that make the network morning “news” programs little more than news readers trying to pimp fashion, pop music, movie reviews, and school lunch menus. I sometimes endure the drivel for local weather. Today would have been a good day to endure.

I left for class at 0945. The parking lot dance was worse than usual and I wound up parking on the opposite side of campus from my class. That wasn’t too bad as my late class is on that side of campus.

After discussion about the battle of TsuShima Strait, I was talking with Dr. Collins about class possibilities for next semester. As I started out the door for the library, Gloria called me.

The Bradford Pear tree that incurred damage yesterday has split and fallen onto the house. My first response was to return home. Gloria assured me that there was no harm to her and no apparent damage, told me to go to my next class. Between concern for the house and the information she had passed on about incipient storms, I decided that missing art-history would be the best course of action.

By the time I returned home Gloria has contacted our insurance agent and had arranged for someone to show up and remove the offending tree. We won’t be able to check for damage more thoroughly until the tree is no longer on the house.

Once again, as with yesterday, we’ve been lightly brushed by the elephant’s tail. A lot to be grateful for.

The storms yesterday blew in fast, hit hard, and blew out. The storms today are moving more slowly, 45 knots rather than 70 knots. Some of them are dropping 0.75 inch hail. We’re clocking winds around 10 mph with higher velocity gusts. The trees in front, that dropped branches yesterday, are swaying alarmingly. The remnants of the Bradford Pear are being rocked back and forth by the gusts. If the gusts remain from the South we’ll be better off in back but more worried about the front.

Promises to be an interesting evening and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment