Thursday, June 24, 2010

24 June 2010 Closer to home than we knew

24 June 2010 Closer to home than we knew


The morning paper brought alarming news of scam/burglaries being run by three people in a silver Dodge Ram SUV. This sounds very much like the vehicle and people who came to our door Tuesday evening. Coupled with the column documenting another attempted robbery Monday night by a three person Van/SUV crew, one woman, two men, trust in strangers is meager here.

The potential for repeat visits by thieves, along with the apparent snake migration season, has provided some increased interest in making sure the firearms are maintained and properly sighted. I’m finding that my cataract surgery did not leave my right eye as sharp as I might wish. That deficit makes it more difficult to shoot than it was when I was younger.

I’ve done most of my shooting with iron/open sights. I’ve got scopes on the rifles that need to be re-sighted with me wearing glasses. Both rifles print well with open sights but the nature of shooting for game and for competition suggests that becoming re-acquainted with scopes is in order. The handgun is wonderfully engineered to put the sights right into that area where neither eye can focus on either sight. That large white front sight has become a great indicator. Time to clean my glasses and shoot for quals wearing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment