Wednesday, October 28, 2009

oatmeal breakfast of lumberjacks

Lumberjacks probably inhale a lot more than just some oatmeal. By noon, I wish I’d had some eggs, bacon, and the stray sausage or two.


Yesterday’s fog was replaced by blue skies and great color on the hillside.

 
We had a total rainfall of 0.82 in yesterday. That brought the creek up a bit and added some volume to the water music we are treated to as it slides over rocks and logs going downstream. Notice, too, the great reds and yellows that define the branches over the creek.


Cassi Creek, unless the water flow is very high, does not reach the Nolichucky River. It appears to vanish from its bed between Casi Church – actually spelled that way on the sign - and the point where Liberty Hill road intersects Little Cassi Creek Road. This is one reason that it is not stocked by the state. Another is the low flow rate apparent during the first two summers we spent here. I’d rather it not be stocked so that the native trout (brookies) have a chance to reproduce and keep the stream as much like it was in the 19th century as possible.

Last night was one of those nights when the television programming was worthless. Reality television and other such anesthesia inducing programming was all that was broadcast. In an effort to clear a DVR performance error caused by last week’s power outage, I managed to break the connector of a monster cable tying the cable input filter/surge suppressor to the DVR. After I’d been screwing around with that for over half an hour Gloria reminded me that we might have some spare cables in the back room. We found one and hooked it up. I can’t see much difference in the cable feed quality, Gloria says she can. So I figured we’d have to buy another cable, not a cheap product, next trip to town. But our neighbor, Mike, rescued us. He worked for ComCast previously and had tools and parts to rebuild the cable. We’ll feed it back through the small holes and into the video complex cable snake’s nest tonight. The upshot was that I forgot to set up the oatmeal we normally have on Wednesday.

I made some this morning, stovetop, pan, water, simmer. We both like it better when we fix it in the slow cooker. The flavors from added spices have time to blend in to the overall complexity. The texture is preferable when slow cooked, too.

This morning, after walking with Mike and Loki, I began to relocate some or the potential fire wood left for us by the tree trimmers. There is an old decrepit concrete block enclosure that once defined a spring that issued from that point. That’s the spring that our other neighbor has water rights for. Of course the spring flow is too low to use reliably and the water is not potable. The trimmers dropped large branches and small trunk sections all around this structure. My goal, today, was to move as much of the smaller wood as I could without resorting to a chain saw, further onto our property. I dragged and carried about 1/7th of what is actually there to be cut, split, and stacked. Fortunately, I’ll have time when it is colder to work on this wood.


For reference, the log with the black markings on the cut face is about 1foot in diameter and four feet long. The other picture shows several tree segments of 5-8 inches thick by 12-15 feet long propped up on a 35 foot tree.
   
 

This is the partially covered spring enclosure. It has not been maintained or cleaned, as one would have to do to make use of any water produced by this spring. The tree trunks in back exceed 20 feet in length and will have to be cut in order to move them. There is another large pile of branches and trunk segments waiting for us about half way up our property toward the valley head, beside the road. It will take a full day for me to cut and move that down to the house. Three years ago a 16 inch chain saw seemed big enough for most tasks. We learn as we go. I need to have some chains sharpened next month. At least, if I cut this wood up I can keep the length short enough to fit into the stove. This wood will help with 2011’s heating costs.


I’m still waiting for our across the street neighbor to present us any proof of his claim to our land. He’s had multiple opportunities to do so and has not offered either proof or verbal claim to us. He’s been complaining to Gloria’s friend Teresa who lives downstream from him on that side of the road. But he’s made no attempt to talk to us in person or by phone. If I were in his position, claiming disputed land, I’d have proffered hard copy proof to back up the claim at the earliest opportunity or I’d have acknowledged that I was wrong and apologized. I don’t know what to expect from him.

Tomorrow we’ll grocery shop and I’ll get cash for some firewood to use this coming winter. Delivery is set for Friday morning.

Saturday is the Halloween contra dance in Jonesborough. We just found out the restaurant we want to use for dinner won’t be open due to another festival taking place in town. We also made reservations at a restaurant in Asheville l Jerusalem Garden Café, for dinner Sunday night before seeing Leonard Cohen at the Thomas Wolf Auditorium. Big musical event in a medium-sized venue – 2400 seats. Should be fantastic.

The traffic to Asheville and back will be much heavier this trip. A landslide closed I-40 south of us and all traffic is being diverted up I-26 to I-81. The road will be filled with tractor-trailer rigs. The THP has promised to add extra enforcement to aid in keeping traffic flowing safely. I hope so.

Dinner tonight is simple and fast to prepare. We’re having hot dogs and baked beans. Lumberjack fare to blunt our hunger, tea to slake our thirst.

I’ve posted many pictures of our back yard – The Cherokee National Forest. Our front yard, though much smaller, is also pleasing to the eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment